Friday 1 March 2013

Q&A With Top 2013 Prospect Eric Comrie of the Tri-City Americans



Below is the Q&A we did with one of the top Goaltender prospects in the 2013 NHL Draft. He plays for the Tri-City Americans of the WHL and represented Team Canada at the u18 tournament this past summer which won gold. As you'll read below his older brother is Mike Comrie, a former NHLer! He is currently ranked 25th by us and is the 2nd ranked goalie.

PuckCentralHQ: You and your team have had a decent year so far. In your opinion how do you think the year has gone for you personally, and for the team?
Eric Comrie: My year was a lot of fun I just tried to get better every time I stepped on the ice. It's very unfortunate my year was ended early but now I have to get ready for next season. As for our year we are a somewhat younger team and we are really starting to come together. Our coaches have been great for us this year. We continue to get better every game we play.

PC: Obviously this is your draft year so there's a lot of pressure to perform well. Did you feel any extra pressure to perform well or put any extra pressure on yourself?
EC: Of course the draft is always in the back of your head but I had a great support staff that really helped me.

PC: Do you pay any attention to your rankings or anything like that? A lot of players say they don't but it must be tempting to search at times!
EC: I don't pay attention to it mostly because nobody really knows until it's over. And I will find out on draft day what happens. All I can do is work my hardest every day and then let that stuff work its way out.

PC: Heading into this season you obviously knew it would be a big year for you. Did you prepare differently this past offseason compared to past offseasons?
EC: It was a different offseason because of the u18 tournament which was a lot of fun! It also really prepared me for the season well.

PC: How was that u18 experience for you? Do you think it helped better prepare you for the season despite limited playing time?
EC: It was great I had lots of fun during my time there. I also feel it prepared me for the season with the great coaching and practices.
PC: It must have been great being able to represent your country like that. A lot of people have you penciled in as a goalie to watch out for in the World Juniors. Is that a goal you have, to someday play for Canada at the World Junior Championships?
EC: It was a fantastic experience representing Canada it's everyone's dream. Playing in the world juniors would be unbelievable it's been a goal of mine since I was 4.

PC: You have the luxury of having a brother who's played in the NHL. How has that helped you get to where you are now? And how is he helping you deal with this very important draft year?
EC: Yes he has been huge to me not only as a brother but as a role model showing me how hard you have to work everyday if you want to make it. With the draft he is just saying what everyone is just keep working hard and things will work out.

PC: So now ill just ask some questions to help the readers get to know you a little better. What made you decide to start playing goalie?
EC: My older brothers needed someone to shoot on so they stuck me in net and used me as a target when I was about 4.

PC: Well I guess that worked out pretty good for you in the end!. Growing up what was your favourite team? And who was your favourite player?
EC: My favorite team would have been Edmonton when I was really young because of my brother and home town team. Now as I get older I have become a Montreal Canadian fan which leads to the next answer of favorite player who is Carey price.

PC: Awesome! So I just have two more questions. Which part of your game do you take the most pride in?
EC: I would have to say my work ethic I try and work my hardest every single day and focus on the process.

PC: Our final question is one we ask everyone, is there a player who you try to model your game after or used to try to play like when you were younger? And if so, how come?
EC: When I was really young it would be Martin brodeur as I got older it switched to Carey price but now I just try and play like myself and watch video of all NHL goalies and see what they do and if I could add it to my game.

PC: That's a great answer. Well that's all we have for now! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! Best of luck to you in June!
EC: Thanks so much for including me in this! And thank you so much!

I hope you all enjoyed this interview as much as I enjoyed doing it. You can follow Eric on twitter at : @EricComrie1 and you can follow us at: @PuckCentralHQ

No comments:

Post a Comment